Monday, March 28, 2016

Is Wool Vegan? Is it Humane?


Is wool vegan?  And what’s the big deal about it anyways?  Isn’t it just like shaving your legs or trimming your beard?  Well, get ready to have the wool pulled off from over your eyes!
The vegan status of wool is a common question and I think it’s an important topic to address. Recently I was asked by viewer ‘Vegan Jen’ “why don’t some vegans wear wool? my parents used to have sheep, so my mom could spin the wool, and the sheep seemed as if they really enjoyed the haircut.  I’ve always wondered but don’t know any vegans personally to ask.”
The main reason people wonder if wool is vegan is that sheep don’t die from being sheared.  I’d like to address that concern first: Veganism, in general, is about opposing the use of animals for our personal gains in any form.  So even if we assume that nothing negative happens to sheep who are used for wool, we are still using them for our own purposes.  And that is the case regardless of how well the sheep are treated.
More here!

No comments:

Post a Comment